Follow the instructions below and submit your completed application by 3 p.m., CST, January 30, 2018.
REMEMBER: DO NOT wait until the last day or the last minute to submit your application. The submission form will automatically disable at 3:01 p.m., CST on the deadline date. If you are in the middle of submitting a form at this time, your submission will NOT be received. If the form does not disable properly, submissions received after 3:00 p.m., CST will still not be considered in order to remain fair and consistent for all applicants. Please remember that upload speeds can vary depending on file type, school bandwidth, etc. Deadline days have a high volume of students submitting, which can also cause delays in uploading files and submitting applications. If you encounter an issue on the day of a deadline, the EAST Initiative staff may have limited (if any) availability to provide assistance. The EAST Initiative CANNOT grant you a deadline extension or help you to submit later if something goes wrong.
Step 1 - Create Your Application Packet
A complete application packet will include all of the following:
- List of Top Projects & Clients
- Video Pitch
- Action photos (8-10)
List of Top Projects & Clients Requirements
- Bulleted lists of 20 projects and 20 clients max
- One page maximum that includes BOTH lists
- 12 point, Times New Roman font, 1.5 sentence spacing and normal margins
- School and category name should be on the first two lines
Projects: In an EAST classroom, there are volumes of projects; however, the judges are looking for a short list of projects (20 max) that demonstrates the extremes of where the EAST program has gone and where it is heading. These projects need to be completed or nearly completed. "Thinking about doing something" should not even be considered. Ideally, anyone who looks at this list should gain an idea of the level(s) of the program, the collaboration that was necessary, and the sheer impact on the community. (Note that community can be defined as the classroom, school, district, city, county, state, world and everything in between.) These do not have to be the biggest projects involving the most people, time, or money. They do not have to be the projects that have received the most attention. This list should include the projects that have provided the solid foundation for working with clients and powerful results with strong evidence of working together.
Clients: Projects can take on greater meaning when a client is involved. Use this opportunity to give a glimpse of some of those that have connected with your EAST program. Include the name of the organization, along with the main contact. Please consider those that have given meaningful opportunity for this specific area (community impact and collaboration).
Video Pitch Requirements
- Format: .mp4 encoded with H.264 codec or .mov
- HD resolution of 1920 X 1080 preferred
- Length: 5-8 minutes (No extra points for going 7:59, no deductions for going 5:01. If you need the time, use it. If your story is solid, don’t.)
The video pitch is the core piece of this competition. It is an opportunity to show the power of the EAST program and how it is impacting the lives of students. The video should convey a solid, realistic representation of the student growth gained through the efforts of the EAST program. Share the highs and lows, the technology that did / did not work, the clients that were awesome and not, the wins and losses, the fun and the not-so-much. Judges are looking for a solid story that is not only told, but more importantly shown. Do not forget that the focus here is Community and Collaboration.
Other guidelines to consider:
- Content is the key!
- Spend plenty of time planning the story, collecting the resources, and organizing the content.
- This is not a video competition, but consider fundamental video concepts. Focus on content, good sound quality and solid footage.
- Videos are most effective when the viewer can “see” the story while it is being told (i.e. effective use of B-roll).
- Provide solid content and evidence (i.e. video footage, photos, etc.) of the project.
- DO NOT try to entertain the judges, but DO inform them with a powerful delivery that takes them on a journey.
- Use a balanced amount of production techniques to effectively tell the story. Do not use massive special effects, crazy transitions, filters, etc.
- Do not fill time with talking heads, special effects and irrelevant content.
Action Photo Requirements
Submit eight to ten (8-10) action photos (jpg or jpeg format) that best represent some of the milestones throughout your year in this specific category. If your program is selected, these photos may be shown on the big screen at the Gala.
Student Work Must Be Original
Submissions should be original and completely student-created.
- Upon submitting the required items as defined in the competition guidelines (required items) to EAST for this competition, participant hereby grants to EAST a permanent, non-exclusive, irrevocable right and license, free of charge, to (i) use, copy, reproduce, publicly display, edit, revise, perform, and distribute the required items in any format, or otherwise make the required items available to the general public in any format through any medium, including but not limited to making the required items available to users of EAST’s website for downloading; (ii) use the required items, exclusively or together with EAST materials or in connection with EAST’s advertising or promotion; and (iii) use the required items generally in connection with identifying, marketing, and promoting EAST to third parties.
- Participant represents and warrants that EAST’s use of the required items shall not violate any law or infringe upon or violate the rights of any individual or entity.
Note: On the application, you will also upload the zipped file detailed in Step 3.
Step 3 - Upload Project & Client List, Video Pitch, & Action Photos
Combine all of the following files into one (1) Zipped File with a 1 GB (1048576 KB) max file size. Be sure to review the requirements in Step 1. For instructions on how to zip a file, please click here for Windows instructions or here for Mac instructions.
- Required: Project & Client List
- Required: Video Pitch
- Required: Action Photos
Step 4 - Submit
When the application is complete, click the “Submit” button. When your submission is complete the page will change and state that the submission has been received. Once you see this page, you will not be able to make any changes. Following your submission, an email confirmation will be sent to you and EAST staff. If you do not receive an email, you should assume there was an error, and your submission was not complete. Our recommendation is to go back to Jotform and complete the form again. If you still receive an error, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact a member of the events team directly.